It may be surprising, but there is one piece of equipment that your Royal Oak personal trainers from Fusion fit absolutely love. With so many weight loss and exercise products on the market these days it can be tough to figure out what purchases are worth the investment and which ones should be skipped. If the desire is to build and tone the body, the reality is no investment is required. Everyone already owns the most important piece of fitness equipment needed.
What is this miraculous piece of equipment? It’s nothing more than the human body. When a sound body-weight training program is put into action most people will find they need nothing more than they already have to tone and strengthen muscles while dropping inches from their waistlines.
While it’s true that machines and free weights can help people become stronger, they tend to focus on individual muscles and groups rather than movement. Free weights and machines are considered open-chain exercises. This means they tend to use only a single joint as the resistance. Body-weight exercises, however, are closed-chain exercises. This means they are more functional and rely on multiple joints as the resistance is moved toward or away from a part of the body that is anchored. This is one reason why working with a Royal Oak personal trainer can be beneficial – learning small tricks like this helps you lose weight faster!
Benefits of Body-Weight Exercises
Body-weight exercises are pretty basic in the grand scheme of things, but they deliver a number of benefits. They include:
- Improved body tone – Body-weight exercises can help burn fat while building muscle. These exercises can, in fact, be just as effective and even more so than machine-based routines or weight-based programs.
- Better movement – Body-weight exercises encourage three-dimensional movement of the body. The result often is greater kinesthetic awareness and an enhanced ability to perform tasks with the body; this is why after working with a Royal Oak personal trainer from Fusion Fit you would have an increased ability to do daily tasks.
- Portability – When the body is the “equipment” effective exercise can take place anywhere. People who practice body-weight training are not tethered to machines or free weights. Essentially, they enjoy the freedom they need to get into shape without cost or equipment requirements.
Examples of Body-Weight Exercises
A sound body-weight exercise routine can vary rather greatly, but getting started really only calls for jumping back in time to high school gym class. Remember those “timeless” exercises the physical education coach liked to tout like push-ups and chin-ups? Well, those are the moves that work.
Here is an example of a training program using body-weight exercises:
- First two weeks – Push-ups, chin-ups and squats. Roughly two times 10 reps each with a minute of rest in between exercises is recommended. Royal Oak personal trainers from Fusion Fit will get you focused on your routine from the get go. It’s also advisable to work two other exercise moves into the routine, such as V-sits, twist crunches, reverse crunches and so on. These should be performed at two times 20 reps each with that minute of rest allowed.
- Third week – This is considered a recovery week. The same exercises should be performed, but in a lower number of reps.
- Fourth and fifth weeks – This is where kicking up the volume comes into play. Perform the same exercises as in weeks one and two, but increase the number of reps.
- Week six – This is another recovery week that calls for a lower number of reps.
- Weeks seven and eight – During these two weeks the same exercises may be performed, but the key is to exceed body weight as the resistance. This means a weight-assisted machine might be introduced or free weights. The rest period should be increased to 90 seconds. The goal on body weight resistance should be between 105 and 110 percent. About two sets of 10 reps should be the target here.
- Week nine – This is another recovery week that calls for decreasing the number of reps, but keeping the exercises selected the same.
The best piece of fitness equipment doesn’t have to be purchased. This is one major difference that sets apart the Royal Oak personal training team from Fusion Fit. Let us support you in your weight loss journey.